In this article, we’ll share with you some quick information about Connecticut State, the 6th on the list of states in alphabetical order.
Connecticut is a state in the United States featuring a combination of coastal cities and rural areas sprinkled with small villages.
Mystic is known for its Seaport museum, which houses centuries-old ships, and the Mystic Aquarium’s beluga whale exhibits.
The city of New Haven, located on Long Island Sound, is known for Yale University and the Peabody Museum of Natural History.
Connecticut State Geography & Demographics
|State Size||Total (Land + Water): 5,543 sq miles; Land Only: 4,845 sq miles|
|Number of Counties||8|
|Time Zone||Eastern Time Zone|
|Bordering States||Massachusetts, New York, Rhode Island|
|Highest Point||South side of Mount Frissell, 2,379 feet|
|State Population (2020)||3,605,944|
|State Population Density||744.3 people / square mile|
|Area Codes||203, 475, 860, 959|
Related: The State of Georgia – Quick facts
Connecticut Official Flag
|State Animal||Sperm whale|
|State Composer||Charles Edward Ives|
|State Flower||Mountain laurel|
|State Folk Dance||Square dance|
|State Fossil||Eubrontes giganteus|
|State Hero||Nathan Hale|
|State Heroine||Prudence Crandall|
|State Insect||European mantis|
|State Motto||Qui transtulit sustinet (He who transplanted sustains)|
|State Nickname||Constitution State|
|State Poet Laureate||Rennie McQuilkin|
|State Shellfish||Eastern oyster|
|State Ship||USS Nautilus|
|State Tree||White oak|
|State Troubadour||Kristen Graves|
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Connecticut Science Center: Science museum in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Dinosaur State Park and Arboretum: Natural history preserve in Rocky Hill, Connecticut.
- Hammonasset Beach State Park: State park in Madison, Connecticut.
- Maritime Aquarium: Aquarium in Norwalk, Connecticut State.
- Mark Twain House: Historical landmark in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Lake Compounce: Amusement park in Bristol, Connecticut.
- Mystic Aquarium: Aquarium in Mystic, Connecticut.
- Mystic Seaport: Museum in Mystic, Connecticut.
- Quassy Amusement Park: Amusement park in Middlebury, Connecticut.
- Rocky Neck State Park: State park in East Lyme, Connecticut. This park is one of the 25 best vacation spots in th USA
- Ski Sundown: Ski area in New Hartford, Connecticut State.
- Thimble Islands: Archipelago in the southeast corner of Branford, Connecticut.
- USS Nautilus: Historic submarine in Gordon, Connecticut.
- Wadsworth Atheneum: Art museum in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Wickham Park: Park in Manchester, Connecticut.
- Yale University Art Gallery: Art gallery in New Haven, Connecticut.
Famous People Born In Connecticut
Nobel Prize Winners
- Edward C. Kendall (Physiology or Medicine, 1950)
- John F. Enders (Physiology or Medicine, 1954)
- John H. van Vleck (Physics, 1977)
- Roger W. Sperry (Physiology or Medicine, 1981)
- Barbara McClintock (Physiology or Medicine, 1983)
- Alfred G. Gilman (Physiology or Medicine, 1994)
- George A. Akerlof (Economic Sciences, 2001)
- Craig C. Mello (Physiology or Medicine, 2006)
- George P. Smith (Chemistry, 2018)
United States Presidents
- George W. Bush (43rd President)
Pro Football Hall Of Fame Members
- Ken Strong (Halfback, Kicker. Inducted in 1967)
- Andy Robustelli (Defensive End. Inducted in 1971)
- Floyd Little (Running Back. Inducted in 2010)
Baseball Hall Of Fame Players
- Jim O’Rourke (Left Fielder. Inducted in 1945)
- Roger Connor (First Baseman. Inducted in 1976)
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Players
- Calvin Murphy (Guard. Inducted in 1993)
- Rebecca Lobo (Center. Inducted in 2017)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Ernest Borgnine
- Katharine Hepburn
- Seth MacFarlane
- John Ratzenberger
- Michael Bolton
- Karen Carpenter
- Tony Scherr
Connecticut State Profile (summary)
The state is roughly rectangular in shape, with a panhandle of Fairfield county extending to the southwest on the New York border.
The state’s greatest east-west length is about 110 miles (180 km), and its maximum north-south extent is about 70 miles (110 km).
Connecticut State takes its name from an Algonquian word meaning “land on the long tidal river.” “Nutmeg State,” “Constitution State,” and “Land of Steady Habits” are all sobriquets that have been applied to Connecticut.
Even More Topics: