We bring you some quick details about Florida State, the 9th state in the list of US states in alphabetical order.
The state of Florida is a part of the United States of America. In 1845, it was accepted as the 27th state. Florida is the most populous of the southeastern states and, after Texas, the second-most populous state in the South.
Tallahassee, in the northwest panhandle, is the state capital.
Florida’s lengthy and colorful history has been shaped by its geographical location, which helps to explain the state’s striking present character.
The majority of Florida State is located on a peninsula that protrudes southeastward from the North American continent, separating the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico oceans and pointing to Cuba and the Caribbean Sea beyond.
Only two other states share a land border with Florida, both along its northern border: Georgia (east) and Alabama (west) (west).
The Bahamas’ island of Bimini is the closest foreign territory, located 50 miles (80 kilometers) east of the state’s southern edge.
Florida State Geography & Demographics
|State Size||Total (Land + Water): 65,755 sq miles; Land Only: 53,927 sq miles|
|Number of Counties||67|
|Time Zone||Eastern Time Zone, Central Time Zone|
|Bordering States||Alabama, Georgia State|
|Highest Point||Britton Hill, 345 feet|
|National Parks||Biscayne National Park|
Dry Tortugas National Park
Everglades National Park
|State Population (2020)||21,538,187|
|State Population Density||399.4 people / square mile|
|Area Codes||239, 305, 321, 352, 386, 407, 448, 561, 656, 689, 727, 754, 772, 786, 813, 850, 863, 904, 927, 941, 954|
Florida State Flag
|State Beverage||Orange juice|
|State Butterfly||Zebra longwing|
|State Flower||Orange blossom|
|State Fresh Water Fish||Florida largemouth bass|
|State Marine Mammal||Manatee|
|State Motto||In God We Trust|
|State Nickname||Sunshine State|
|State Pie||Key lime pie|
|State Reptile||American alligator|
|State Salt Water Fish||Sailfish|
|State Salt Water Mammal||Porpoise (dolphin)|
|State Shell||Horse conch (giant band shell)|
|State Stone||Agatized coral|
|State Tree||Sabal palm|
Related: List of State Nicknames
|Major Sports Teams||MLB: Miami Marlins, Tampa Bay Rays|
NFL: Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars
NBA: Miami Heat, Orlando Magic
NHL: Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning
MLS: Inter Miami CF, Orlando City SC
|NCAA Division I Schools||Bethune-Cookman University (Mid-Eastern Athletic)|
University of Central Florida (American Athletic)
University of Florida (SEC)
Florida A&M University (Mid-Eastern Athletic)
Florida Atlantic University (Conference USA)
Florida Gulf Coast University (Atlantic Sun)
Florida International University (Conference USA)
Florida State University (ACC)
Jacksonville University (Atlantic Sun)
University of Miami (ACC)
University of North Florida (Atlantic Sun)
University of South Florida (American Athletic)
Stetson University (Atlantic Sun)
Popular Tourist Attractions
Florida State has quite a few interesting tourist attractions, qualifying it as one of the 25 best vacations spots in the United States.
- Adventure Island: Water park in Tampa, Florida.
- Amelia Island: Island off the coast of northeastern Florida.
- Anna Maria Island: Island on the coast of Manatee County, Florida.
- Busch Gardens: Theme park in Tampa, Florida.
- Discovery Cove: Amusement park in Orlando, Florida.
- Everglades National Park: National park in southern Florida.
- Gatorland: Theme park and wildlife preserve in Orlando, Florida.
- Kennedy Space Center: NASA space center in Merritt Island, Florida.
- Legoland Florida: Theme park and water park in Winter Haven, Florida.
- Lion Country Safari: Drive-through safari park in Loxahatchee, Florida.
- Lowry Park Zoo: Zoo in Tampa, Florida.
- Miami Beach: Coastal resort city in Florida.
- Miami Seaquarium: Aquarium in Key Biscayne, Florida, near downtown Miami.
- SeaWorld Orlando: Theme park in Orlando, Florida.
- Universal Orlando: Theme park in Orlando, Florida.
- Walt Disney World: Theme park in Bay Lake, Florida.
Popular Iconic Florida Foods
Florida is famous for the following foods:
- Key Lime Pie
- Cuban Sandwich
- Conch Fritters
- Stone Crabs
- Apalachicola Oysters
- Fried Gator Bites
- Publix Sub
- Cedar Key Clams
- Florida Orange Juice
Famous People Born In Florida
Nobel Prize Winners
- George F. Smoot (Physics, 2006)
- Michael W. Young (Physiology or Medicine, 2017)
Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall Of Fame Players
- David Robinson (Center. Inducted in 2009)
- Artis Gilmore (Center. Inducted in 2011)
- Mitch Richmond (Guard. Inducted in 2014)
- Tracy McGrady (Guard-Forward. Inducted in 2017)
Famous Actors And Actresses
- Faye Dunaway
- William H. Macy
- Sidney Poitier
- Debbie Harry
- Jim Morrison
- Tom Petty
- Flo Rida
Florida State (Summary)
In 1513, Juan Ponce de Leon landed in northeast Florida, likely around present-day St. Augustine, to claim Florida for Spain. This is when the first written records of life in Florida were created.
Spain establishes the first permanent European settlement at St. Augustine in 1565.
Even More Topics: