This page contains a wealth of information on Alaska state, the second state on the alphabetical list of us states
Alaska Geography & Demographics
|Statehood||January 3, 1959|
|State Size||Total (Land + Water): 663,267 sq miles; Land Only: 571,951 sq miles|
|Number of Counties||27|
|Time Zone||Alaska Time Zone, Hawaii-Aleutian Time Zone|
|Highest Point||Denali, 20,310 feet|
|National Parks||Denali National Park and Preserve|
Gates of the Arctic National Park
Glacier Bay National Park
Katmai National Park and Preserve
Kenai Fjords National Park
Kobuk Valley National Park
Lake Clark National Park
Wrangell – St. Elias National Park and Preserve
|State Population (2020)||736,081|
|State Population Density||1.3 people / square mile|
Alaska State Flag
|State Bird||Willow ptarmigan|
|State Fish||Giant king salmon|
|State Flower||Forget Me Not|
|State Fossil||Wooly mammoth|
|State Insect||Four spot skimmer dragonfly|
|State Land Mammal||Moose|
|State Marine Mammal||Bowhead whale|
|State Nickname||The Last Frontier|
|State Motto||North to the future|
|State Sport||Dog mushing|
|State Tree||Sitka spruce|
Popular Tourist Attractions
- Alaska Native Heritage Center: Cultural center in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Alaska SeaLife Center: Aquarium in Seward, Alaska.
- Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center: Wildlife refuge in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Alaska Zoo: Zoo in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Alyeska Resort: Ski resort in Gridwood, Alaska.
- Anchorage Museum: Museum in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Arctic National Wildlife Refuge: National wildlife refuge in northeastern Alaska.
- Chilkoot Trail: 33-mile trail from Dyea, Alaska, to Bennett, British Columbia, in Canada.
- Chugach State Park: State park in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Denali National Park: National park in the middle of Alaska.
- Portage Glacier: Glacier on the Kenai Peninsula in southern Alaska.
- Icy Strait Point: Tourist attraction in Hoonah, Alaska.
- Kenai Fjords National Park: National park on the Kenai Peninsula in southern Alaska.
- Kincaid Park: Municipal park in Anchorage, Alaska.
- Matanuska Glacier: Glacier in southern Alaska.
- Mendenhall Glacier: Glacier about 12 miles from Juneau, Alaska.
- Mount Roberts Tramway: Cable car station in Juneau, Alaska.
- Tongass National Forest: National forest in southeastern Alaska.
- DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Alaska: By DK Eyewitness
- Fodor’s Alaska: By Fodor’s Travel Guides
- Lonely Planet Alaska: By Brendan Sainsbury, Lonely Planet, Catherine Bodry, and Adam Karlin
- The MILEPOST 2021: Alaska Travel Planner: By Serine Marie Reeves
Alaska State (summary)
Alaska is by far the largest U.S. state by area, comprising more total area than the next three largest states Texas, California, and Montana combined, and the seventh-largest subnational division in the world.
While it has one of the smallest state economies in the country, Alaska’s per capita income is among the highest, owing to a diversified economy dominated by fishing, natural gas, and oil, all of which it has in abundance.
Even More Topics: